London broil is a delicious and versatile dish that’s perfect for a weeknight meal or a casual gathering.While the name might sound fancy, it’s actually a relatively simple preparation that involves marinating a lean cut of beef and then cooking it quickly under high heat.
What is London Broil?
Contrary to its name, London broil isn’t actually a specific cut of meat, but rather a cooking method.It’s typically made with flank steak or top round, both of which are leaner cuts with a bit more fiber than, say, a ribeye.This means they can be a bit tougher if not cooked properly
The key to making tender and flavorful London broil lies in the marination.Marinades use acidic ingredients like vinegar or citrus juice to help break down the muscle fibers in the meat, making it more tender.They also add flavor through herbs, spices, and other seasonings.
After marinating, the steak is typically cooked quickly under high heat, either on a grill, in a broiler pan, or even in a hot skillet. This sears the outside of the meat, locking in the juices and creating a delicious crust, while leaving the inside nicely cooked.
Tips for Making Great London Broil
- Choose the right cut: Flank steak is the traditional choice, but top round is also a good option.Make sure the meat is trimmed of excess fat.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes, but ideally overnight. The longer the meat marinates, the more tender it will be.
- Don’t overcook the meat! London broil is best cooked to medium-rare, so use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Slice thinly against the grain. This will help ensure the meat is tender and easy to chew.
There are endless ways to prepare London broil. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Classic London Broil: This recipe uses a simple marinade of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and herbs. Serve it with roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes Hawkerstreetfood.com/.
- Asian-Style London Broil: This recipe uses a marinade with ginger, soy sauce, garlic, and sesame oil. Serve it with rice noodles and stir-fried vegetables.
- Mediterranean London Broil: This recipe uses a marinade with lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, and garlic. Serve it with pita bread and a Greek salad.
With its simple preparation and delicious results, London broil is a great option for anyone looking for a flavorful and budget-friendly steak dinner. So fire up the grill or preheat your oven, and give it a try!